The Downtown Bend Business Association (DBBA) was formed in 1982 as a local nonprofit that serves over 325 businesses and 85 property owners in the Downtown district.
We are primarily funding by the Economic Improvement District (EID), please click here for more information on the EID. Our last budget increase through the EID was 6 years ago in 2012. We are requesting an increase in 2018, to learn more about this increase request, click here.
Secondarily, we are funded by our fundraising efforts. The largest of which is Bend Oktoberfest, where 100% of the proceeds go to the DBBA. If you’d like more information about our future fundraising plans, click here.
Our mission is to improve the economic vitality by enhancing the experience, image, and lifestyle of Downtown Bend.
- To keep on occupancy rate of 95% or higher for our building owners
- To keep Downtown Bend clean
- To keep Downtown Bend safe
- To create a space and produce events for our residents and visitors to create memorable moments
- To advocate for and educate our entrepreneurs, merchants, manager, and employees.
- To provide ‘value added’ programs to make Downtown a destination and bring more businesses to our shops and restaurants.
- To provide branding and marketing to keep Downtown on par with other emerging Bend shopping districts
- To collaborate with other local organizations to bring cutting-edge programs to Downtown
- To create the vision for the future of Downtown Bend, advocating and collaborating with the City of Bend and other organization to bring this vision to fruition.
Our organization creates Downtown Bend as you know it. Beautification, Events, Marketing, Advocacy, Education — it’s all because of our group of dedicated staff, board members, and volunteers.
The DBBA’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Funding, delivery, installation, maintenance, and daily watering of 100 flower baskets and 50 planters May-Sept annually.
- Funding and staffing for Snow Removal – 42″ wide clear path of Downtown sidewalks and crosswalks for employees, visitors and customers to get around safely. We also ensure that all ADA parking spaces and access points are cleared, and provide snow owners with supplies to borrow (snow shovels) so that they can clear their ‘front porches’
- Funding and staffing for daily sidewalk cleaning, sweeping, and debris removal. We have recently (in the last 2 years) increased this program from 5 days per week to 7 days per week to better serve our Downtown businesses. We were able to do this on the same budget by cutting costs in other areas. We are committed to making sure Downtown looks its best.
- Funding, staffing and procuring decorations to create the Downtown Bend Holiday experience. We host events such as the Community Tree Lighting, Shop Small Saturday, and free visits with Santa. We also provide, install and maintain tree lights, decorations, snowflakes, and wreaths.
- Facilitating, funding and staffing the Downtown Bend Banner Program, including sales, billing, installation, and maintenance.
- Maintaining and reconditioning benches, trash receptacles, and bike racks as needed.
- Marketing Downtown to promote business, including working closely with organizations like Bend Chamber, Visit Bend, Old Mill, Central Oregon Visitors Association (COVA), Here & Now, Bend Bulletin, KTVZ and The Source. We also coordinate with visiting groups and tours (Mt. Bachelor, Deschutes Heritage Museum, Bend Film, etc) to provide welcome bags to incentivize their spending time and money in Downtown Bend.
- Production of Downtown Events- Bend Oktoberfest, by far our largest fundraising event, is now in its 13th year, drawing 12,000 attendees in 2016. It underwent a complete rebrand with expanded merchandise opportunities. This event connects us with over 20 different sponsor businesses including 11 local breweries each year. We also boast a volunteer staff of over 250 people! We love our community! Other events we produce include: Monthly First Friday Art Walk, Sidewalk Sale, Shop Small Saturday, Holiday Tree Lighting Events, Visits with Santa, Downtown Bend Trick or Treating, and Ladies Night.
- Promotion of Downtown Events – Bite of Bend, Summer Fest, Fall Fest, Cascade Cycling Classic Criterium, 4th of July Pet Parade, Veterans Parade, and Christmas Parade
- Marketing individual business, including online business portfolios on our website, featured news stories, and social media support.
- Facilitating of the Downtown Dollar Gift Certificate program. Last year, over 76,000 dollars in Downtown Dollars were purchased, flooding our businesses with customers.
- Advocacy on larger issues, working closely with the City of Bend, Bend Polic Department, MPO, Move Bend, local Neighborhood Associations, Central Oregon Landwatch. Bend 2030, Commute Options, (etc). These larger issues include parking & transportation, transient & homeless population, future streetscape, commute programs, etc.
- We produce all of the newsletters, brochures, maps and directories for Downtown Bend.
The Board of Directors oversees staff and makes policy decisions that determine the direction of the EID and the DBBA. The Board, compromised of property and business owners, holds monthly meetings on the second Wednesday of the month. To learn more about our board and staff, click here.
General meetings are typically held quarterly. Call the office for information. The DBBA welcomes input and encourages anyone who is invested in Downtown to come to a meeting. We want as many voices as possible at the table as we all work together to keep Downtown vibrant!
Furthermore, if you have questions about our organization, our Executive Director is happy to go have coffee with you to discuss Downtown Bend and our organization’s role in keeping it vibrant. You can contact her directly here.
You can view our most recent annual report here. For past reports or additional data, contact us.